Don't Hate Hubby

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You Ladies Have a Gift to Gab.

When I look up "communication" in the dictionary, it reads..."The successful conveying or sharing of ideas and feelings." Okay, I'm having a problem with the word "share." I'm pretty sure a woman dominates the dialogue. So here's my definition of communication..."the unsuccessful conveying of ideas and feelings that usually leave a man glazed-over and a woman irritated." Does that sounds about right?

It's time to toss out an example of a typical man/woman conversation. The man says, "Hey, where's the mustard." The woman replies, "Speaking of mustard, I was in McDonald's today, because I didn't wanna go to Wendy's, anyway, I grabbed a packet of mustard, remember I'm watching my weight so no mayo, anyway, um, where was I....oh yeah, and across from me was a girl I hadn't seen since my high-school cheerleading days and she was telling me about this teacher we had that always.................(I'm glazed over at this point)..........yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

How is a man supposed to follow that? We went from mustard to cheerleading in a matter of seconds. I just wanted something to squirt on my hamburger. I was starving and wanted to stare at the wall and eat. I didn't really want to run down memory lane and follow a story that had about 15 side-stories.

I can't tell you how many times I have a woman shaking her finger at me, telling me I'm just like every other guy. That every time they get a little wordy, I look like a clueless caveman. Of course, "wordy" may be the understatement of the year. Woman get paragraphy. Hey, what can I say, I like to get to the point, not avoid it.

Of course, you really have to admire a woman's gift to gab. Life would be boring without it. And I love the ladies in my life, no doubt. However, there needs to be a compromise in the conversing. I'll work harder at following your side-stories, if you work harder at getting to the point. If we can accomplish that, men might just have more to say.

Enough said.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart William-
    Wow, we thought you liked the back story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY smart William. I'll take the bullet as the messenger. I may regret that, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought I'd tell you my husband lets me get out half of what I want to say and then turns the conversation to something he was thinking about. It makes me wonder if he really was listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart man. He needs to teach me that trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Shelly. My boyfriend does that all the time. He talks a lot (more than me, so HA!) and when I do get around to telling him a story, I feel like I have to rush through it in case he switches off in the middle of it. Which ultimately happens when he suddenly changes the subject and I'm left wondering if I was boring him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed at the fact that your boyfriend talks more than you. He would not pair well with my wife. That would be some serious talkin.

    ReplyDelete